Saturday, January 1, 2022



When I was a child
I could fly
It’s long ago now
Sometimes in a dream
I’ll know of it
The way it felt
To lift away from roads
Of trouble
A little effort at the first
Ungraceful like a goose
But once I felt my feet
Depart
Accomplishing a bit of air
Beneath my measly bones
Of wing
Then suddenly I was expert
At my flight
Untethered and untired
I could soar the sky
Not ever in the clouds
But more a treetop skimming fly
To stay connected to the grounded
Hearts I knew
And never would I leave
Except for proving
That I could
But now with age to weight me
All the lessons I’ve accrued
I’ve lost the stamina to separate
From earth
Perhaps until the time I should
But in the furthest recess
Of my childhood mind
I try 
To sift the memory out
To dust it from the moths
Of years
And hope to then reclaim 
What growing old
And growing up 
Forgot


Sara Mathews     January 2022
Artwork ~ Duy Huynh 

No comments:

Post a Comment