Monday, January 17, 2022


I wished for such a storm
All night through
I rose at every hour
Hoping 
One am praying
2 am calm as calm 
At 4 am no messenger of snow
And so I slept a skeptic then
A bit let down by weathermen
But oh to my surprise
My waking eyes beheld  
Just such a day
And here I sit upon my pillow ship
Quite mesmerized
I watch the other sailors though
They’re shoveling with all their might
Like they are in control 
I laugh like I’m the wind
I want them to stay feathered in
Like me
To sit all morning long
And watch the show
The complexities
The intricate 
Oh see the flakes blow East
Now West
Then sidewise as they curl
Again and eddy round 
A polar dance
And listen to the winter wail
The wild waves of winter song
In octaves high and low
But off they go with shovels raised
They want to keep the storm at bay
I will the wind ‘sweep them away’
So I may be alone 
This blizzard then is just for me
This squall my glorious sea 
And since I’m captain of this ship
I’ll navigate quite malleably
And go 
Wherever this storm blows



Sara Mathews     January 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment