Monday, January 4, 2016



Every morning
 When I wake
          A measurement
           Of sorts I take
      I weigh
                  The daytime
                      And the dark
                            The heaviness
                                  Or light of heart
                               The strength
                             Or listing
                                  Of my will
                                            And how much
                                  Ballast
                                           It will take
                                                            To keep me straight






Sara Mathews     January 2016

2 comments:

  1. The cadence of the language is what I imagine the tilted listing on the large ship's bow would be like. The tension then relaxation in themes, such as heaviness or light, and dark....keeps the prose alive and me waiting for the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Louise! I appreciate your comments and your poetry!

      Delete