Friday, September 11, 2015



Take me to the ledges
When I’m gone
It’s where you’ll find my
Childhood soul
She waits for me
Among the towering pine
And hemlock bowed
She perches on the granite shelf
An outcrop bursting forth
From ancient soil
That will not be confined
But reaches for the warming
Sun to feel alive
Adorned with softest lichen moss
No color can describe
It’s here she lies
Beneath the opening of sky
She traipses barefoot
On the leafy floor
Of many falls
And up and down the
Rows of stony
Walls of broken years
Keeping nothing out
And no one in
But ever mark a border
On this woodland Eden
She leans against an
Elder beech and
Listens to the song
Of rattling leaves
That’s strummed with
Summer breeze
She scampers with the chipmunks
And whistles with the jays
And frolics in the
Dappled light
That filters
Through the trees
She is a forest sprite
That lives among the
Matchstick moss
Of old abandoned fairy stumps
She skinny dips
In laughing brooks
And falls into the sun
To dry upon
The Ledges
When she’s done
So take me back here
When I’m gone
She waits for me
She waits for me




Sara Mathews  -  September 2015

1 comment: