Thursday, September 24, 2015



I looked for you in Autumn
The morning was a layered gray
With higher clouds that held
And hovered solemnly in place
And lower 
More impatient clouds that sailed
And raced 
Toward furthest edges of the day 
While sun as bold as all July
Broke through at every interval he could 
And kept me lingering there
With hope 
He would prevail
And I withstood the fits of rain
And bite of cold on summer skin
To feel the sun burst forth  
And briefly warm the earth 
And me again
I looked for you in every element
And in a conscious way 
I said a poem aloud
To tree and sky 
To lazy and ambitious cloud
To you if you would hear
And as I spoke the end
A sudden spirit ruffled through the grasses
At my feet
And breath of wind swept past
To spin the air 
With gold acknowledgement
From listening trees
And ray of sun broke through 
To gild and spotlight the embrace
Of showering leaves
And you were there
And I was filled with joy at finding you
In every leaf that lilted gently down
And one that was especially you
I caught to
Treasure 
And I saved the gold to press
Within the page
Within the heart
Within the chest





Sara Mathews     September 2015

1 comment: