Thursday, November 17, 2016




I take joy
In the little things
Swirling cream to my coffee
Sharing toast with the cat
The roof deck where the grape vines wither
And cling to the unpicked fruit
Spicy with frost
The sun just skimming the rooftops
Tracing a last path of summer 'cross my face
I take joy in a deep full breath
Of autumn
The sharp smell of leaves wet on the walk
Their last hurrah
The crabapple silhouettes
Lingering in the concrete
A sweet cider scent
Still perceptible
I take joy in my comrades
The squirrels anxious with errands
And the echo of the crow
Out of sight
But vibrating the cold uncluttered sky
And filling my ears with a message
To take joy





Sara Mathews     November 2016

2 comments:

  1. I felt this way yesterday as I managed as much of the remaining fall cleanup as possible. I nibbled a few of the remaining grapes and ignored the guilt that I failed to use them all. I put in a good effort, there were just too many. Then after dark, the first flakes fell and t-shirt weather will be gone until next year. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to share the same feelings! No snow here yet but on it's way. The crows can have the grapes :)

      Delete