Monday, February 1, 2016



You came to me last night
A little girl again
So small
I held you as I did
And showed you round to all
How cute she is
But why so young
I couldn’t say
Or know
Only that it could be so
In dreams
And it was sweet and wonderful
To have the time turn back
A glimpse of what so long had passed
A feeling visceral enough to hold
Within my soul
And oh, my soul
Was pleading for a way
To have you stay
And when at last we had to part
I couldn’t let you go
But you were brave and stoic
Resolving with the past
In whispers of
Don’t cry
And less the true believer
Of the mistiness of time
I watched you slowly drift from me
Oh, arms
Were reaching there
So desperately
Oh, heart
Was crumbling there
Unbearably
As current carried you
Away from me
On thirty years
Of tears


Sara Mathews     2/1/2016

No comments:

Post a Comment