Monday, December 14, 2015



My, you’ve grown
I saw you weeks ago
You crept along the threshold
Just outside
And slanted light
Beneath the stable door
Made your tiptoed shadow grow
To more formidable
Than what you were
And I stopped a moment
In my work
A bit alarmed
And thought you were a rat
But then you scampered out
To grab a bit of feed
And showed yourself
For what you really were
A tiny soul
And I marveled at your bravery
As back and forth you went
Between mouse hole
And barn floor
And I thought
Poor thing
You won’t last long
With two great hunters
On the prowl
You’re too petite in size
Too confident
Too debonair
And I scolded you in
Your foolhardiness
To show yourself midday
And then went on about my chores
And watched your frantic escapades and
Mourned for your demise
But here you are again today
Your belly showing signs of victory
Outwitted felines stymied by your
Acrobatic prowess  
And as I’m quite impressed
With your ability
To thrive against the odds
And present company
I leave a gift beside your door
To reward your courage and agility
A red and white striped peppermint
For you to carry home and share
Amongst your family
With best wishes to you all and
Merry Christmas
Little mouse!


Sara Mathews     December 2015

1 comment:

  1. Love it Sara!!!! Merry Christmas to you and yours xo Cindy

    ReplyDelete